I bought a wide cast iron pan with a lid from Aldi and it is such a lovely thing to cook meals in. (The posh, the rich and those with generous friends who bought them one for a wedding present will have similar pans made by Le Creuset.)
2 cloves of garlic
glug of olive oil
Four or five courgettes
1 pack of chicken thighs (or chicken breasts) - about 250g to 300g cubed chicken
1 cup (about 200g) rice
Pinch of saffron
1/3 cup sherry
1 and 2/3 cup water or chicken stock
handful of pitted green olives
- Chop the onion and garlic and soften in the olive oil.
- Chop the courgettes and add to the pan.
- Use scissors to snip the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces straight into the pan.
- Add the rice, saffron and sherry and bubble until the liquid is reduced.
- Pour in the water or stock (I use half a Knorr chicken stockpot) and add the chopped thyme and the green olives.
- Put the lid on and leave over a low heat for 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken and the rice are cooked through.
- When it's cooked leave to rest for about 10 minutes. Then check the seasoning and grind over some black pepper before serving.