Wednesday 2 March 2011

Simple pleasures: Welsh cakes

This post is for Sticky Fingers The Gallery and this week's theme is simple pleasures. Yesterday was St David's Day and, as my two traditionally dressed Welsh ladies hurtled off to school, they ordered reminded me that I usually make Welsh cakes.
Yummy Welsh cakes.
Then the day ambled off like days do and I did other things. At 2.15pm I remembered the Welsh cakes - half an hour before the school run. Fortunately being a simple sort of pleasure they are quick to make. Cheap too. I learned to make them by watching the ladies cooking them in Swansea market - the secret is to cook them just enough. Too long and they'll be dry in the middle.

All you do is rub 125g of butter into 250g of self-raising flour, stir in 75g caster sugar, 100g of sultanas and half a teaspoon of all spice and then mix in a large beaten egg and enough milk to make a soft dough. Roll out as you would for scones - they should be about a centimetre thick - and cut out. I use a 6.5cm fluted cutter.

Pop them on to a preheated griddle (or frying pan - no fat) and cook on each side until golden brown and still slightly soft in the centre. Sprinkle with more golden caster sugar and serve warm with a cup of tea. Blasus!

Sizzling gently on the griddle.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh my they look yummy, I may have to try and make some! Happy st.David's day to you for yesterday x

Beki said...

Reminds me of home - I will be making some with my son this weekend. Love the blog, will be back for more recipes.

Arlene said...

These look delicious! I've never heard of Welsh cakes (for shame!) - I'd love to give these a taste. x

The Prettygoodlife said...

Looks delicious! I'll have to save the recipe for a while as the Pickle has gone off currents (and all her weaning foods).

Penny P.S. and A Residence said...

Lovely to find your blog via the Gallery. Cooking is a game you can eat was my favourite book growing up. Brings back very fond memories of cooking with my mum and brother. It's my mantra now cooking with my kids!
These look yummy!

Caroline said...

Fabulous - could I come round to your house for tea, please?!

kateab said...

Ooh yummy. I have never made Welsh cakes. I must try them sometime.
Thanks!

Ian Callaghan said...

My four year old daughters favourite she loves making welsh cakes.

cooking games said...

Reminds me of home - I will be making some with my son this weekend. Love the blog, will be back for more recipes.

cinabar said...

Had these for the first time in Wales last summer - going to have to give them a go myself now :-)